The Village of Almont DDA is proud to announce that the Almont Community Historical Museum rehabilitation project was chosen to receive a 2012 Michigan Historic Preservation Network “Building Award.” This award confirms the importance this building plays in the cultural identity of our village and identifies this project as making a significant contribution to the preservation of Michigan’s heritage. 16 award winners from across Michigan were selected in five categories, including: Building, Citizen, Community, Preservation Gem, and Lifetime Achievement.
Seven Building Awards are presented for projects completed within the last three years. Winning projects may be a restoration or rehabilitation, and must include exterior work, but may also include interior work. While many think of preservation as the multi-million dollar restoration of large historic landmarks, preservation is not limited by size, location or cost.
This year’s winners include:
· Almont Historical Museum, Almont. The Village of Almont’s only remaining historic wood structure was returned to its nineteenth century charm and now serves as the home of the community’s Historical Museum
· 1945 Standard Oil Gas Station, Detroit
· 5716 Wellness, Detroit. Formerly known as the San Telmo Cigar Factory
· Accident Fund Holdings, Inc. National Headquarters, Lansing
· The Arrmory, Lansing
· Flat Iron Building, Grand Rapids